The BEST EVER GUIDE to Swap Meets!
How to Have a Swap Meet and Be a Planetpal, too!
What is the Earthday Swap?
It's a great idea we came up with here at PLANETPALS EARTHZONE to teach you about earth and how to conserve. It's a way to make the most of everything by reducing and reusing (some of the 4 "r's). It's simple and it works just like a a good old fashioned Yankee Swap.
Earthday or Any and Every Day
Try it in your classroom or your whole school, have a swap party with friends or
| Planetpals Poster |
Now available !
co-workers. Have a general swap or give it a theme. Possible themes
- school supplies
- office supplies
- beauty supplies
What you do
- Each person has to bring things they no longer use or need.
- If there is a category, in that category, or if not just bring general items.
- Then whatever you can use, you can take.
- At the end, if there are things left over, donate them to a shelter or thrift shop.*
- This also works as a fun Christmas gift exchange or grab! Just wrap the items (in something recycled - like a kitchen towel or newspaper of course)!
Why it's important
Just imagine having a toy swap with friends. Maybe there are toys you have outgrown or no longer like to play with. It's a waste right? Not if you have a swap-it puts things to good use!
What about teachers?
Teachers can organize a swap at school and exchange unused notebooks and other supplies with teachers and students. Why not have a FREE bin at school for such things all year long.
Lastly, on a bigger scale, get parents or community involved and have a big swap in the school yard once a year.
You will be amazed at how much less clutter you have and how happy someone else is to get something they need for free! You will also be surprised how much stuff actually gets diverted from a landfill. You will be doing your part!
If you don't have a swap like this--and you have good things that need to find a home...see if your town has a local swap!
Remember-WHEN it is OVER:
- Take down your ALL signs
- List leftovers as "PICK UP for FREE" on freecycle.org or craigslist.com
- Bring leftovers to your swap shop, transfer station, or local charity shop, and good toys to a preschool.
- Put leftovers on the sidewalk with a Planetpals FREE sign
For MORE Swap Ideas:
A SWAP "how to" and list of tips. Directions on how to have the best swap ever.
For MORE Recycle Ideas:
For MORE Conservation Ideas:
See Earthday Fast
See Earth Matters
See Worldly Wise Tips
Earthday pages Educational, fun and free...jam packed with ideas
| Greatest Earth Day Pages New and Notables: |
- Learn more about the Planetpals with the Planetpals Pages
- Learn many things for and about Earthday with our fabulous list of Earthday Learning Pages
- Have loads of fun with the Fun for Kids pages: activities, crafts, games, greetings,clip art and more!
- Use the Parent / Teacher pages for teaching ideas, projects, and more info
- Learn facts and tips with the Eco Helper Pages
- Learn more about World Peace on Earthday with the World Peace pages
- Give us your opinion at Planetpals Polls
Planetpals: The most fun on earth!