Earth Day Activities:
| Planetpals Poster |
Now available !
| || |
The BEST EVER GUIDE to Yard Sales!
How to Have a Yard Sale, Garage Sale, Tag Sale, Moving Sale and Be a Planetpal, too!
How to Have A Successful Yard Sale
One of the best ways to recycle is to give away your items to a charity, a swap shop, transfer station or to have a SALE!
Whether you have the SALE at your school, organization or at your home, It can be a lot of work! You can make it
worthwhile if you have a goal in mind. Here is a handy list of tips to make it easier for you. Remember, if you have kids, involve them, it can be a great learning experience. Not only will they learn about commerce but they learn the value things as well as how to let go .
Yard Sale Checklist and Tips
- Make sure you check to see if there are restrictions in your town or neighborhood
|Don't forget price tags! |
- Think about donating some or all of what you earn at your sale to an organization, church or cause - have a sign posted to let people know “Proceeds from this yard sale go to (name).”
- TIMING Is Everything:
- Plan to have your sale on the same date and time as a local church or school sale for extra traffic!
- Plan it at the same time as your neighbors by organizing a neighborhood or multi-family sale
- Have it on a weekend or holiday when people are off work
- Have it during reasonable hours-mornings are most popular
- How to arrange things:
- Keep things arranged carefully and attractively
- Keep similar items together (ie: toys, jewelry, clothing)
- Use tables, bookcases or blankets for display
- Have hangers or racks to display clothing
- Put small more valuable items like jewelry where you can watch them.
- Make sure all pockets and purses, boxes or baskets are empty before you sell them!
- Whether you are having it in a garage, inside your home or in the yard, make sure you separate areas and things that are not for sale with a rope or cloth and don't forget to post a “NOT FOR SALE” sign next to them.
- Advertise in advance:
- On grocery store billboards
- On craigslist.com
- In the local paper
- If you do not want “Early Birds” make sure you put that on your notice.
- If it’s mostly “kids stuff” or “household” say so
- If you have a lot of items in a specialty category such as "art supplies" list it!
- Put some signs up a few days prior to the sale
- PUT UP clear sturdy SIGNAGE:
- Use large PRINT
- Make sure you post a sign on major roads leading to your sale
- Post many signs or arrows on side streets if needed
- USE arrows (Remember-most people are driving and they cannot read at driving speed)
- Avoid putting signs on utility poles (Staples can be dangerous!). Be creative! Use a big brown bag filled with rocks or a sign on a pole, a chalkboard
- Use a Planetpals YARD SALE Sign it's free to download! Have the kids color them.
- DON’T FORGET to take ALL SIGNS down after the yard sale
(Don’t be a Litterbug-be a Planetpal!)
- PRICING and PAYING:
- Mark everything with PRICES. Some people are shy to ask prices and will just leave!
- Keep prices low—yard sales are not antique shops (Remember you are purging-you want things to go!
- Try 25 cent, 50 cent and $1 tables
- Have "FILL A BAG" section sale for small items and toys
- Or SELL each item for one single price-such as a "$1 for everything yard sale"
- Why not give some things for FREE (free boxes attract people)
- If Items are collectable put price stickers on the back or use a string tag
- Be prepared to bargain!
- Don’t accept checks if you don’t know the person!
- If someone asks for you to hold an item--give them a time limit
- Lower prices at the end of the day to get rid of things (have ½ price afternoon?)
- Handy HELPERS:
- Have cash on hand to make change
- Have empty grocery bags to put purchased items in
- Have empty bags and newspaper to wrap fragile items
- POST an “All Sales Final” sign so you will not get returns
- Things to Avoid:
- Do not have pets there (in case people have allergies etc)
- Do not have overgrown grass making it difficult for people to walk through
- Do not have boxes of wrapped stuff that people have to sift through (you could end up with damaged goods)
- Have clear pathways so that people do not trip!
- USE common sense!
- Treat people kindly
- Mark things as you would pay
- Make sure anything sharp is placed safely or safely covered
- Make sure items are clean if you can
- If they are missing pieces or parts or have things broken make a note of it
- Test appliances you plan to sell before you have the sale
- Remember-WHEN it is OVER:
There now-That was easy. Remember: You can be a Planetpal, too!
If You Don't want to do a yard sale:
How to Recycle it, Sell it , Swap it or Give it Away
A SWAP "how to" and list of tips. Directions on how to have the best swap ever.
For another great recycle ideas try Planetpals:
One BAG Challenge
Earthday PAGE (Jampacked!)
*please contact Planetpals for copyright and reproduction rights
Planetpals: The most fun on earth!