Planetpals The Greatest Facts on Earth
Fascinating Fun Fast Facts About Our World !
Earthman Says: It's Your World--Care and Take Care
FAST FACTS about EARTH:
- circumferance: 24,901.5 miles
- diameter: Nearly 8,000 miles
- surface area: 196,935,000 sq miles
- percent of earth's ocean approximatly 70% *
- percent of earth's land: approximatly 30%
- highest point:Mt Everest 29, 028 above sea level
- lowest point: Dead Sea 1,302 below sea level
* of the 70 percent of water; 97 percent is salt water, 3 percent is fresh water
The EARTH is made of the following CHEMICAL ELEMENTS:
- oxygen 46.6 %
- aluminum 8.1
- iron 5
- sodium 2.8
- magnesium 2.1
- calcium 3.6
- potassium 2.6
- silicon 27.7
- other 1.5
Here is an example of how long it takes garbage to break down:
- plastics take 500 years
- aluminum cans take 500 years
- organic materials take 6 months
- cotton, rags, and paper take 6 months.
Other Interesting FACTS:
- Earth is referred to as the BLUE PLANET. WHY? Because from space,
the oceans combined with our atmosphere make our planet look blue.
- Earth is estimated to be 3-5 Billion Years old.
- Earth is estimated to weigh 6,585,600,000,000,000,000,000 tons.
- The area of the earth is almost 200 million square miles.
- Earth travels through space at 66,700 miles per hour.
- Earth's oceans are an average of 2 Miles deep.
- Earth's rotation on its axis makes a day at 24 hours...
- Earth's orbit around the sun makes a year at nearly 365 and 1/2 days
- Earth is tipped at 23 and 1/2 degrees in orbit. That axis is what causes our seasons.
- Antarctica is the coldest place on earth. The continent is almost entirely covered in ICE !
- Only 11 percent of the earth's surface is used to grow food.
- Breeze carries about 100 Million tons of sand particles around the earth yearly.
- That means if you live in America-you could have Sand that came from the Gobi desert in China.