Healthy Living, Eating, and Earth Smart Food Ideas for KIDS!
"We eat healthy,
we live green
For a better world
whole and clean!"
What is Here For You To Learn About A Healthy Lifestyle:
Be a Planetpal Inside and Out
Healthy Planet, Healthy People:
We talk a lot about the a healthy planet here at Planetpals , but we don't want to overlook the importance of a healthy body as well.
There are many steps you can take to make sure the food you eat and the food you buy are squeaky clean and nutritious , too! That makes you healthier and happier.
Taking precautions against the environment from things like acid rain and pesticides that farmers might use is important...just as important as what we choose to eat.
Foods that are safe from harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites, and chemical contaminants are vital for healthful eating. Safe means that the food poses little risk of foodborne illness. Farmers, restaurants, and shops have standards to keep things safe. However, we also need to keep and prepare foods safely in the home, and be alert when we are out.
A few health precautions about your food:
At the Store:
- Look at the dates on all packaging
- Check nutrition facts on the package, buy healthy foods!
- Separate. Separate raw, cooked, and ready-to-eat foods while shopping, preparing, or storing
- Read labels!
- Wash hands and surfaces often.
- Wash meats, fruits and vegetables thoroughly
- Cook foods to a safe temperature.
- Refrigerate perishable foods promptly.
- Check and follow the label cooking/storing instructions.
- Serve safely. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- When in doubt, throw it out.
Be a Planetpal - Eat Healthy, Be Healthy!
Why You Need Food
Nutrition is the science or study of how your body uses nutrients. Just like a car, your body needs fuel to work properly. The food you eat contains substances called nutrients that provide the energy (fuel) for your body to make new cells, heal, fight illness, and to grow. There are 6 kinds of nutrients that provide your body with the energy to think, play and work properly.
On your plate: Tips for Healthier People
- Add more vegetables and fruits to your plate
- Make half your grains "whole"
- Eat a variety of proteins
- Cut back on treats
- Watch salt and sodium
- Use healthy oils
- Drink more water!
The Food Pyramid Healthy Food Guide
First published in 1980, the Dietary Guidelines are mandated by Congress to be reviewed, updated and released by USDA and HHS every five years. The Food Guide Pyramid is an easy way to show the groups of foods and proportions you need to stay healthy...
What you see here is the proportions from TOP TO BOTTOM for daily servings of the following foods.
- Fats, oils & sweets. (smallest--darn it!)
- Dairy: Milk, Yogurt & Cheese group
- Protein: Meat, Poultry, Fish, Beans, Eggs & Nuts Group.
- Vegetable group (yum!)
- Fruit group. (yum!)
- Grains: Bread, cereal, rice & pasta group.
You can learn a lot more about the FOOD Pyramids and nutrition at the USDA website. www.usda.gov
The New My Food Plate For Healthy Eating:
This handout image provided by the Agriculture Department shows the department's new healthy eating symbol: My Plate. The Agriculture Department says its new healthy eating symbol called "My Plate" should show Americans that nutrition doesn't have to be complicated.
Build a Healthy Meal:
What you see here is the new FOOD PLATE (June 2011). What is on from on this plate for daily servings:
- No Fats, oils & sweets!
You can learn more about "MY FOOD PLATE" go to www.ChooseMyPlate.gov
Panetpals FREE Healthy Food Art ideas and Recipes:
It's cool to bring a GREEN Lunch to school!
How to have a GREEN
Be a Planetpal - Pack an Earth Friendly Lunch!
Now that we are eating right what about a healthy planet lunch as well?
One simple step is an PLANETPALS Earth HEALTHY Lunchbox. Less litter, less waste. After all, we take a lunch to school and work five days a week at least...That can be a lot of waste over a long period of time.
Instead of packing disposable lunch bags, sandwiches and snacks in disposable plastic bags or wrap, wasting soda cans, juice or milk bottles and paper napkins everyday...rethink that lunch! You not only help save the planet, you can save money!
The PLANETPALS LUNCH BOX:
- A reusable lunch box or bag
- A reusable sandwich container
- Reusable snack containers
- Reusable thermos or plastic bottle
- Reusable Cloth napkin
- Reusable eating utensil such as fork and spoon
See how easy that is...now you can be healthy inside and out!
Don't have a lunch box? See how many days you can reuse that paper bag!
Planetpals: The most fun on earth!