Did you know that WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY was established in 1972 by the general assembly of the UN? It's not Earth Day but still we should take notice. Each year the emphasis on World Environment Day is placed on a certain earth topic of crisis.
WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY is hosted every year by a different city and commemorated with an international exposition through the week of June 5. The UN uses WORLD ENVIRONMENT DAY to stimulate awareness of the environment and enhance political attention and public action."
So, what is the topic this year? THINK "Melting Ice - A Hot Topic", climate changes and the effects on ice and snow-covered areas of the world.
June 5, it will be hosted by Norway and the main celebrations will be held in Tromsoe, a city north of the Polar Circle which is considered the gateway to the Arctic"
COMPLETE LIST OF Topics present and past:
* 2009 - Unite to Combat Climate Change
* 2008 - C02 Kick the Habit
* 2006 - Deserts and Desertification.
* 2005 Green Cities Plan for the Planet!
* 2004 Wanted! Seas and Oceans Dead or Alive?
* 2003 Water Two Billion People are Dying for It!
* 2002 - Give Earth a Chance
* 2001 - Connect with the World Wide Web of Life
* 2000 - The Environment Millennium - Time to Act
* 1999 - Our Earth - Our Future - Just Save It!
* 1998 - For Life on Earth - Save Our Seas
* 1997 - For Life on Earth
* 1996 - Our Earth, Our Habitat, Our Home
* 1995 - We the Peoples: United for the Global Environment
* 1994 - One Earth One Family
* 1993 - Poverty and the Environment - Breaking the Vicious Circle
* 1992 - Only One Earth, Care and Share
* 1991 - Climate Change. Need for Global Partnership
* 1990 - Children and the Environment
* 1989 - Global Warming; Global Warning
* 1988 - When People Put the Environment First, Development Will Last
* 1987 - Environment and Shelter: More Than A Roof
* 1986 - A Tree for Peace
* 1985 - Youth: Population and the Environment
* 1984 - Desertification
* 1983 - Managing and Disposing Hazardous Waste: Acid Rain and Energy
* 1982 - Ten Years After Stockholm (Renewal of Environmental Concerns)
* 1981 - Ground Water; Toxic Chemicals in Human Food Chains
* 1980 - A New Challenge for the New Decade: Development Without Destruction
* 1979 - Only One Future for Our Children - Development Without Destruction
* 1978 - Development Without Destruction
* 1977 - Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation
* 1976 - Water: Vital Resource for Life
* 1975 - Human Settlements
* 1974 - Only one Earth
UNEP World Environment Day Website:
Remember think green PLANETPALS!