The Hazards of Hazardous Materials
Be in the know!
There are many hazardous materials that can have dangerous effects to all living things. Always know what you are using and what you handle. Take time to learn. Take precautions when you are around chemicals or materials that have warning labels.
Find another kind!
To keep you and your pets safe from to using products that may be harmful in some way, try to find alternatives. There are many alternatives to these products found at natural stores, health stores, hardware stores and so on. Don't be afraid to ask.
NO Don't Throw!
When you need to throw away hazardous materials, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE TRASH! Make sure you contact your recycle center or city hall to find out how to properly dispose of them. Some towns provide special collection or drop off days to assit you each year . Read your town paper, or phone your town hall. Be in the know!
Ready , Set , Go Read!
BE Safe and Be Smart, look for the labels shown below in the "Warning Label Dictionary" on any products you use,buy, or come in contact with. You may see these labels at home, in the garage, the store, the hospital or your mom or dad's office....SO PAY ATTENTION! Read the handy Hazardous Materials list provided, too!
Kids: See our "Planetpals Zone Recyle Kit 4". It's a great activity and shows everyone you care!
WARNING LABEL Dictionary
- Antifreeze Compounds
- Camphor Oil
- Type Cleaners (fluids containing combustible materials, i.e. spot clothing cleaners, office machine liquid cleaners, etc.)
- Acids, photographic, used in film developing
- Etching Acid
- Iron/Steel Rust Preventing Compounds
- Muriatic Acid
- Nitric Acid
- Sulfuric Acid
- Black Powder
- Cigarette Loads
- Dynamite, Plastic or any other similar explosive
- Explosive Auto Alarms
- Explosive Flash Bulbs
- Small Arms Ammunition
- Smokeless Powder
- Souvenir Explosive Instruments of War
- Spear Guns Having a Charged Head
- Toy Propellant or Smoke Devices
- Trick Matches
- Trick Noise Makers
- Adhesives (glues, cements, plastic)
- Charcoal Briquettes
- Cleaning Fluids
- Compound 3 Weed Killers
- Denatured Alcohol
- Hand Signal Flares
- Leather Dressing or Bleach
- Lighter Fluids (pocket, charcoal, camp, stove, lamp, or torch)
- Oil Stains for Wood
- Paint, Flammable
- Paint/Varnish Remover
- Petroleum Products (kerosene, gasoline, oil)
- Photographic Flash Bulbs/Lamps
- Polishes, Liquid (metal, stove, furniture, wood)
- Propane Tanks (nonpurged)
- Propane or Other gas Used for Cooking or Heating Purposes
- Shoe Polish (liquid)
- Solvents, Plastic
- Windshield Solvent
- Wood Filler
- Engine, Starting Fluids
- Fire Extinguishers
- Cases Used in Welding
- Scuba Diving Tanks
- Chlorinated Hydrocarbons in Decorative Lamps