Teach Kids to Love and Care for Earth Recycle Craft!
At Planetpals we believe if you teach kids to appreciate beautiful things on Earth, they will learn to love and care for it! It's that simple.
Make your puppet--with a slew of themes to choose from! Use a soda can or a toilet paper tube. Find recycled items to decorate it.
|Looking for more interactive things to make here at Eartzone?
Every issue of our magazine has a special craft of the month! Free Activities in your email from the kidsclub! Try the Planetpals coloring page, recycle kit, card game, or check out our freebeez page.
Make another craft!
Recycle Soda Cans and Containers
At home or at school this craft is cool!
Make your very own puppet from recycled items.
Recycle Everyday Objects
Great craft for a school lesson plan, girl scouts, boy scouts or home project,
Have children make a puppet from recycled materials of many kinds. This time we used a yogurt container, a can, and other everyday objects to make the "Mr Toppem Hat" Puppet.
Here is a list of possible themes for the puppet:
- Doll : You can make a girl puppet by adding a fancy hat made with flowers, baubles and/or glitter and fabric . Dress her up in a dress.
- Animal: You can make a favorite animal by adding ears and a cotton ball or string tail
- Your favorite character: Make Sponge Bob from a box or make up your own!
- Just imagine the possibilities
Tools Needed for this puppet:
- Soda can--
- Glue or Glue gun
- Ribbon or materials for the legs and arms
- Popsicle sticks for the handle
- Dominoes and food ties or bottle caps for feet
- Yogurt for the hat
- Buttons for jacket
- Ribbons for a tie and hat band
- Coffee can plastic cover
- Beads for eyes
- Your imagination
Directions For Handle
- Criss cross the possible sticks and glue together (You can also reinforce the sticks by wrapping string around it--see photo)
- Cut two pieces of even string for the hands
- Cut 2 longer pieces for the feet
- Cut one shorter piece for the head
- Attach the strings to the popsicle stick handle:
- NOTE: (See Photo)
- Place the criss crossed glues sticks down then
- Attach the head string to the back of the popsicle stick
- Attach both hand strings on the front popsicle stick--
- Attach Left leg string to the left side stick--right leg string to the right side!
Ways to string the handle:
|This handle is drilled
||This is glued and tied with string
Directions For Puppet:
- Start with a Can (as an alternate use toilet paper roll)
- Decorate his shirt with buttons, a ribbon belt and/or bow tie
- You can paint the can or cover it with fabric or paper.
- Make a hole in the top of the yogurt container (hat) for the head string--attach string
- Glue the yogurt container to the plastic coffee can top
- Attach the finished hat to the top of the can
Arms and Legs
- Attached the legs and arms ribbons to the can (or the cover)
- Glue the dominoes(shoes) to 2 of the ribbons
- Glue the bottle caps or food ties (hands) to the ends of the other 2 ribbons
Once each part is complete- let them dry carefully.
Then attach the handle, strings, puppet. You are ready to play! Can you make him Dance? Sit? Walk?
Make another craft!